Welcome To Moments of Inspiration

I have survived Cancer now for two years. I am using this blog to tell my story, to impart a little philosophy, and to offer a little bit of hope and entertainment to other people like me who are suffering from Cancer.

You may have cancer, like me, or maybe you know someone who has cancer. Maybe you have lost someone to this deadly killer.

My story is really about all of us. We are in this together, and we will fight cancer for as long as we can. Meanwhile, I am taking this opportunity to remind everyone that although we may be dying from cancer, we must also remember to live while we are still here, and to maybe make this world a better place to live in as well. I hope you enjoy the writing.

Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Being in the Moment

Towards the end of June I picked up a book that had just been lying around. I started to read it.
The book is called "Meditation and Relaxation" by an Australian psychologist named Bob Sharples. This is somebody that nobody has ever heard of. As it turns out, I think it's a pretty good book.
*****
In this book, Mr. Sharples asks us to focus on our breathing, which is the most natural process there is. Eveything leads back to the breath.
If you are relaxed, and breathing well, you are then allowed to do these inventories.
*****
You are allowed to do an inventory of your physical state. Am I hot, cold, hungry, and am I in pain? You address these things as they come up. You acknowledge the physical condition of your existence. But who you are is more than the sum of your physical ailments and suffering.
Who you are is somthing else entirely.
*****
You continue to focus on your breathing, nice and relaxed. You are very calm. You then begin to do an inventory of your emotional state. How do I feel right now? Am I feeling fear, or anger, or some kind of self-pity because I am sick? You begin to address these emotions, and you begin to understand yourself better.
Who we are is more than the sum of our physical condition and our emotions.
Who we are is something else entirely.
*****
Bob Sharples uses these methods to focus on the moment right in front of us. It is like watching the fireworks down town. You don't want to miss any of it.
The Annoying Wife is a story about the complete opposite of Being in the Moment. She is an example of what you want to avoid doing if you possibly can.
This whole thing is really about spiritual growth. And having Cancer for the last two years has been more a spiritual journey for me than anything else. It has made me grow as a person. I have become very grateful to all the people that have helped me the past two years. I am grateful for the fine doctors, and my wonderful friends, and my Mom and her friends who pray for me every day.
People that I really did not know that well have reached out to me and have tried to help me in the ways that they could. People have really been terrific, and I am thankful for all that has been given to me.
****
Being in the moment has helped me to be more calm, and to understand my self better. I have been getting some insights into who I really am. I have been getting some insights to my ongoing relationships with people, and to the world in general. I though it might be important to write about this, and that is what I have been doing here.
Maybe I can reach out to another person with Cancer and help them a little. It is worth a shot.
*****
"Meditation and Relaxation" by Bob Sharples. I would recommend reading this book.

Mr. Charming

No comments:

Post a Comment