Welcome To Moments of Inspiration

I have survived Cancer now for two years. I am using this blog to tell my story, to impart a little philosophy, and to offer a little bit of hope and entertainment to other people like me who are suffering from Cancer.

You may have cancer, like me, or maybe you know someone who has cancer. Maybe you have lost someone to this deadly killer.

My story is really about all of us. We are in this together, and we will fight cancer for as long as we can. Meanwhile, I am taking this opportunity to remind everyone that although we may be dying from cancer, we must also remember to live while we are still here, and to maybe make this world a better place to live in as well. I hope you enjoy the writing.

Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Annoying Wife

I'll talk to anybody.
I took Dan and Special Ed downtown this year to see the fireworks for the Fourth of July. We were on the east side of the Hawthorne Bridge. I have been doing this for three years now. I hope to be doing this next year too, but there are no guarantees.
While waiting for the fireworks, I talked to a couple of ladies my age who were sitting in lawn chairs. They were nice enough to chat up a stranger like me. I got to know their names, what they did for a living, and a little about them.
Delores was a nurse at Providence. I had just gotten some radiation there for Cancer. I told her that going there was like going to a little city all on its own. It just goes on and on. She agreed with me.
Her friend Harriet was from N.E. Portland. She trained horses. How often do I get to meet someone who trains horses for a living? We had quite a conversation. Harriet really loves these big animals, and has a way with them. My Mom's step dad trained horses in Austria.
We had something to talk about.
****
In a few minutes a couple showed up on bicycles. I talked to them too, since I ride a bike. They had nice blinky lights attached to their helmets, which I admired. Nobody wants to get hit by a car.
These people were both about my age. The poor guy had a haunted look to him. His wife was an embarrassment. She refused to engage with me on any level whatsoever, even though I was nice enough and standing right next to her talking my nonsense.
I sat next to these people on the curb.
The fireworks were spectacular. You didn't want to miss any of it. It was right in front of us.
*****
The Annoying Wife sat next to me the whole time, and while the sky was abloze with glorious pyrotechnics, she was on her cell phone, thinking about things going on that were miles away.
Who else on the entire planet does that?

Mr. Charming

No comments:

Post a Comment