Welcome To Moments of Inspiration

I have survived Cancer now for two years. I am using this blog to tell my story, to impart a little philosophy, and to offer a little bit of hope and entertainment to other people like me who are suffering from Cancer.

You may have cancer, like me, or maybe you know someone who has cancer. Maybe you have lost someone to this deadly killer.

My story is really about all of us. We are in this together, and we will fight cancer for as long as we can. Meanwhile, I am taking this opportunity to remind everyone that although we may be dying from cancer, we must also remember to live while we are still here, and to maybe make this world a better place to live in as well. I hope you enjoy the writing.

Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Leach Botanical Gardens

Yesterday, Carl, who is a plant expert, and his wife Joanne, stopped by the house to show me the Leach Botanical Gardens. I had never been there, and I am always interested in learning new things about my adopted City of Portland. The Gardens are located at arouund 122d and Foster Road. Johnson Creek runs right through the place. It is a cool oasis in the middle of the city. It is vey restful. And it is free to go there.
My friend Dan, who retired last August, delivers Meals on Wheels every Friday with his mother, who is eighty eight years old. I think Dan views this as important work to be doing for the community. He happily volunteers his time to help make this a better place for everybody. We need more people like Dan.
After he finished his chores, Dan joined us at the Leach. Dan is another one of these plant experts, like Carl. So Carl and Dan already know all this stuff. I only know a little bit. But it was such a fine day to be outside in this beautful place, and I loved hanging out with these people.
Who knows? I might actually learn something.
*****
While Dan and Carl were busy studying all the different trees and plants, Joanne and I wandered off to the little gift shop to poke around some, to see what they had offer.
I met the lady running the store. Her name was Randy, and she was a volunteer.
Randy said: "This whole place is run by volunteers. I am eighty three years old, and three years ago they discovered I had cancer. It really set me back. Right now about all I can do is sit her and mind the store. I can't get around like I used to."
Randy showed me the huge scars on her legs that made it difficult to walk.
Randy has been a Cancer Survivor for three years. Good for her.
I am a Cancer Survivor for two years. I told Randy my story.
Two years ago in July I found out that I had lung cancer, which is a deadly killer. The odds for me to survive the next two were one in four. Statistically, I should not be here having this conversation. I told her I just couldn't be this lucky. I told her that I believed a Higher Power had a Hand in all of this, for some reason unknown to me. Randy agreed with me on this.
All the while, Joanne is very quiet, studying the little items they had for sale in the store.
Joanne has been a Cancer Survivor for twenty years.
*****
Visiting the Leach Botanical Gardens is free because of the efforts of people like Randy, and many others. These are all volunteers. Before we left the store to rejoin Carl and Dan, I put a little cash into the donation box.
I also told Randy that I would be back again sometime to visit. This seemed to please her.
Mr. Charming



No comments:

Post a Comment