Welcome To Moments of Inspiration

I have survived Cancer now for two years. I am using this blog to tell my story, to impart a little philosophy, and to offer a little bit of hope and entertainment to other people like me who are suffering from Cancer.

You may have cancer, like me, or maybe you know someone who has cancer. Maybe you have lost someone to this deadly killer.

My story is really about all of us. We are in this together, and we will fight cancer for as long as we can. Meanwhile, I am taking this opportunity to remind everyone that although we may be dying from cancer, we must also remember to live while we are still here, and to maybe make this world a better place to live in as well. I hope you enjoy the writing.

Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Ural Motorcycle

My friend Mark lives in Soo, Michigan. We both went to college up there when the place was called Lake Superior State College. He still lives there, and is an attorney. Mark is a smart guy.
I could have gone to the University of Michigan. But I didn't have any money, and neither did my folks. I could afford to go to LSSC, which we dubbed the Army Surplus College. They had turned an old Army Barracks into a cheap place where poor kids like me and Mark could earn a degree. It changed our lives.
*****
Recently Mark had to drive all the way down to Chicago to attend his nephew's wedding. Mark has a good eye for the unusual. He spotted a strange looking motorcycle with a side-car attached to it. It turned out to be a Ural, a motorcycle made in Russia.
That's how I found out about the Ural.
*****
I have been interested in and have owned motorcycles since I was a fourteen year old kid. This Ural really captured my attention. I wanted to find out what I could, and pass the information along to you all here. The Ural is really neat.
*****
The Ural is based on the tried and true old BMW design of a horizontally opposed flat twin cylinder four stroke motor that will probably go forever. The size of the motor is a 750 cc.
They offer several models, starting at $10,000 and going up to $15,000, which is about the cost of a nice little Japanese car. Each one of these models comes with a side-car.
They are not fast machines. They top out at a mere 65 mph, good enough for the freeway, and they will go about 30 mpg. They are guaranteed to make you an interesting person.
Every where you go people will ask you about your Ural.
Think of it! If you are a young guy, you can take your girlfriend wih you and go camping. And you can take your dog with you, too! How much fun is that!
If you are an old guy like me, you just might want a comfortable ride around the city. You might take it to the store and get some groceries, and then put them in the side car. It seems practical. Dealerships are springing up all over the country selling these machines.
*****
The other day I was driving down 39th (Cesar Chavez for those of you who insist) and I spotted one being ridden by an older guy all decked out in leathers. I had to pull up along side him to get a better look.
The bike was jet black with a lot of chrome. It was very pretty.
Before we hit the red light on Powell, I pulled in front of him.
I rolled down the window and gave him a big thumbs up.
He noddded to me. He knew that I had got it.

Mr. Charming

No comments:

Post a Comment